THE AIRSOFT LAW IN THE UK
If you are 18 years of age or over you can buy a 2 tone Airsoft BB Gun, one which PRINCIPLE COLOUR is significantly different from that of a real firearm i.e. bright orange, green, blue etc.
You can buy a 2 tone Airsoft BB Guns and either gift it to someone else, or allow them to use it – regardless of their age – you are not breaking the law. So, a parent can buy a 2 tone airsoft gun and give it to their child to use or keep.
Since October 2007 you can only buy a realistic imitation firearm (one that looks like a real gun i.e. black) if you are at least 18 years old and meet one of the following conditions.
– You are a REGISTERED airsofter with membership of an insured skirmish site. To be registered you must attend a properly organised and insured airsoft site and play for at least three days over a period of not less than two months. Even if you attend and play the three days in your first week, UK Law requires that two months pass from the first day attended before you can legally be registered.
- You have a current UKARA membership
- You are a member of a properly insured historical re-enactment group or society
- You are a film, television or theatre production company
- You are (or are acting on behalf of) a museum
- You are a Crown Servant in pursuance of your Crown duties
If you cannot meet any of these criteria, you can still buy an imitation firearm, one which PRINCIPLE COLOUR is significantly different from that of a real firearm – i.e. bright orange, green, blue etc.
The VCRA 2006 concerns itself with sale, manufacture and import ONLY. If you buy an imitation firearm and either gift it to someone else or allow them to use it – regardless of their age.
FPS UPDATE 18/10/2011 – UK Airsoft established at 1.3 joules (approx. 374FPS/.20g bb) for full auto and 2.5 joules (approx 519FPS) for single/semi sniper or pistol. Please note: each skirmish site will have different FPS limits on their games. This UPDATE is only to inform you of the maximum legal limits.